It smells good, it smells like .. chocolate !!
The history . ..
It’s at New Year that chocolate reigns supreme at PortoBay hotels in Madeira !! In the main entrance, the floral arrangements are adorned with chocolate flourishes and sweet sculptures can be seen dotted around. The kitchens are busy preparing truffles, chocolate cups, cocktails and themed dinners . .. During the week of the event there are tastings, massages with chocolate oil, workshops, demonstrations and degustations . .. Check the dates for the next event at www.experiences.portobay.com.
If you like chocolate, you won’t be able to resist !!
The tips of PortoBay Chefs . ..
1. Dark chocolate goes very well
with spices like curry, turmeric, black pepper and even chilli. (Chef Ricardo
Cabrita, PortoBay Falésia)
2. You should never add liquid (liqueurs, wine, etc.) directly to chocolate when baking. (Chef Luís Silva, Pastry chef at Vila Porto Mare)
3. Chocolate hates heat, so when cooking at home avoid the hottest times of the day (Nuno Castro, pastry chef at The Cliff Bay)
4. Never use a fridge or freezer to harden it more quickly. That way the chocolate turns a dull colour with no shine to it. It goes soft and has white pigments, instead of being bright, crispy and crunchy. (Filipe Rato, Pastry chef at PortoBay Liberdade)
5. Dark chocolate is also an antioxidant which helps the circulatory system, unlike milk chocolate. (Chef Ricardo Cabrita, PortoBay Falésia)